TMJ Treatment in San Luis Obispo
Are headaches and muscle pain something you experience every day? Do you have pain in your neck or face? If so, you may suffer from a temporomandibular joint disorder or TMJ disorder (TMD).
You may be so used to these symptoms that freedom from pain seems impossible, but it’s not. Here at Deborah McNeil-Amorteguy, DDS, we offer treatment for TMD to help you feel more comfort and less pain on a daily basis.
What Is TMJ Disorder?
The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) are on both sides of the head and are used to chew, speak, and yawn. Because they are used so often, it’s easy to see why these joints can become stressed and begin to ache.
TMJ disorder, or TMD, can occur just because of daily use of the temporomandibular joints, or because of injury in the neck, head, or jaw. Those who grind their teeth or have arthritis may also be more susceptible to TMD.
If you deal with these symptoms, you may have TMD:
- Recurring headaches or migraines.
- Discomfort in the jaw, neck, face, and shoulders.
- Soreness in the jaw.
- Pain from chewing.
- Aching in the ears.
- Locking of the temporomandibular joints.
Benefits of TMD/TMJ Treatment
If you are living with TMD, day-to-day life can be interrupted at any moment by incredible pain. However, these disruptions can be reduced and healing can begin with the treatment offered by our office. Our TMJ splints can offer you:
- All-Around Pain Relief: TMD pain isn’t just focused on the jaw. The tension caused by these conditions may extend to the face, neck, and even shoulders. Our appliances have the benefit of treating the tension so it provides pain relief everywhere.
- Reducing Teeth Grinding: Most TMJ disorders are associated with teeth grinding (also called bruxism). A major benefit of a dental appliance like those we offer is reducing any damage bruxism may cause to your teeth.
- Headache Relief: Incredible pressure can be put on the upper part of your jaw with TMD. This can cause an increase in both earaches and tension headaches. But no longer with the relief-providing mouthguard!
- A Better Night’s Rest: Many with TMD suffer from poor night’s sleep, the pain making a peaceful rest all but impossible. With proper treatment, you can rest peacefully and pain-free.
Our advanced technology here at Deborah McNeil-Amorteguy, DDS, allows us to get to the root of several dental and facial pain problems. If it turns out that you really are suffering from TMD, we will take the time to explain the problem and the solution to you with compassion and empathy.
Come to Deborah McNeil-Amorteguy, DDS, for all TMD pain management.
How We Can Help?
Our TMJ treatment involves appliances that keep your jaw in the correct position and avoid stress on your joints. We can also provide tools to help prevent teeth grinding. If you deal with persistent pain due to TMD, we provide some medications. Our team can also check for issues like a bad bite or a jaw that’s out of balance, both of which can lead to TMD.
Treatments for TMJ Disorder in San Luis Obispo
We understand and can sympathize with patients living with TMJ. Debilitating tension headaches, stress-related pain in the neck and shoulders, and at times even chewing can become a chore.
To alleviate such discomforts and ensure each of our patients can get the pain-free oral health they deserve, our office focuses on creating dental appliances unique to each patient.
These dental appliances (also known as mouthguards or bite splints) come in several variations, allowing our compassionate and comprehensive dental team to find which one has the maximum effectiveness to address each patient’s symptoms.
This means no matter what goals a patient might have when it comes to their TMD/TMJ treatment, be it reducing bruxism, tension headache relief, or correcting a variety of other issues, we can create the perfect solution for you.
Find Headache Relief With TMJ Treatment in San Luis Obispo
Deborah McNeil-Amorteguy, DDS is here to help you find relief from the discomfort you may experience due to TMD. We can help you feel better, sleep better, and even focus better after our TMD treatment. Call 805-543-3016 today to learn more or to make an appointment. We are happy to help in the way that will work best for you.